Marie & Modest is a modern-day sustainable brand offering an accessible collection for men and women.
We are a slow fashion brand offering an alternative to fast fashion.
Slow fashion brands manufacture respecting people, environment and animals. As such, contrary to industrial fashion practices, slow fashion involves using eco-friendly materials.
We strongly believe that using hemp fibre in the fashion industry can make a big difference.
Using this marvelous and often misunderstood plant has numerous benefits.
We attempt to spread accurate information to those who do not yet know hemp’s true value. Hemp production has been banned for decades but before this happened hemp was present in nearly 80% percent of all clothing.
Recently hemp is rising in popularity and there a numerous good reasons for this.
- Hemp is warm AND breathable – yes that’s right, both! This makes it an excellent fibre for slow fashion, where we try to offer collections that last beyond a season.
- You can wear the same piece in winter and summer, it keeps your body temperature at a comfortable level.
- Hemp feels good, because of the fine fibre it feels soft. Hemp gets even softer in time, the more wears the more comfortable (and less ironing, hooooray)
- Hemp is one of the strongest materials on earth, it is way stonger then cotton it is actually as strong as steel!
- Growing hemp gives 3x more fibre per acre then growing cotton and is so much easier to extract then other fibres. Mother earth thanks you
- Cleaning the fibre only needs half of the water cotton does. Water conservation is becoming more and more important so this benefit is not a minor one.
- We are not attempting to bash cotton we are simply informing you on facts. And sorry cotton here is another one: hemp grows twice as quick as cotton AND grows pretty much anywhere.
- You will not need to wash your hemp garment as quickly because of the antimicrobials. This good fighter stops odor-causing growths read: less laundry!
We aim to promote a more ethical and sustainable way of consuming
We will never have 4 collections each year, in the contrary… our collection will grow but nothing will be lost. Our timeless pieces and colours will last beyond each season and stay available as long as our stock lasts. Everything is timeless and made in a material that can be worn in winter and summer. The collection contains essentials for the modern wardrobe.
We aim to produce clothing in a sustainable way both socially and environmentally, without compromising on quality.
The collection is designed by Mayenne Nelen and characterized by timeless simple lines and geometrical shapes.
Pieces and colours that are easy to match everything.
We want to encourage consumers to engage when buying clothes, to consciously buy and choose quality items that last long.
We give them the tools to make the best decisions by being honest and transparent. This way we can guide the consumer past greenwashing.
Explore our collection
And join us in the good fight.
Buy better. Keep forever.
All of the fabrics we use are GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) and OCS 100 (Organic Content Standard) approved, this means the fabrics consist of at least 95% organic materials, and no pesticides or herbicides were used in the process.